Thursday, January 24, 2008

Response to Jim's response of Harmony on Week 2 Wednesday

To me, this all seems like a question of avoidance and that's a very tricky proposition...especially with youth. I think you're dead on in stating that kids do have a blind spot...not that we don't as adults...but there is a different level of innocence there that can be manipulated. I hear you on the millstone reference but at the same time I was thinking about how Bolger talked about how Christ didn't invent parables. Bolger made the point that Christ took the parables of the day and twisted the endings to give them his own meanings.

So my question is what if we shift from strictly telling kids, young adults, that this media is good and this media is bad (not saying that this isn't important and part of it) and we figure out how we can engage them through the mass media that they're consuming by developing a theological twist on that media. Not putting added importance of media over scripture...but figuring out how we can use media to ask questions and lead youth to engage scripture. Obviously, I'm not suggesting that we use the profane to accomplish this task but what I'm saying is that we have to relate to their culture if we're going to break into their culture.

No comments: