Friday, March 14, 2008

Response to Joe's Blog

Joe wrote:

"The church cannot remain in a bubble and ignore how the world has and is working. Too often, I believe the church tries to create Christian alternatives to culture, rather than embracing popular culture. And more often than not, the Christian product is crap. Christian media tries to package the crap to make it look and sound the same, but in the end it's still crap. You can't polish a turd."

My response:

I'm all for getting outside of the bubble...bursting the bubble...however you want to lay it down...

However, what about those within the church that endorse what you refer to as a 'turd'? I just don't think you can tell people it's crap...because for them it might speak truth...So while my personal tastes don't fall in line with the "christian alternative" I think we still have to figure out how to keep the conversation in motion...it's not going to go away...there will be people that endorse and push the Christian alternative in music for years and years to come...the Fish or whatever that radio station is called is going to be pumpin' out the Christian hits and it's going to impact certain people and speak truth to them and their situation...even though you and I might have a hard time understanding how that works! So, I hear you but I don't think a hard line response is the answer as I think we risk offending some folks in an area where it's probably not worth offending them in...I think we're to be bold but in my mind this isn't an area where we want to go to battle. It's kind of like we're fighting over what style has more relevance or is more capable of revelation or is a better tool and the answer is both.

Loved the fistpumps site btw.

No comments: