Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Week 8, Bevans Chapter 8

The transcendental model is interesting as it seems to put the emphasis on individual experience. I think on a personal note this is one of the models that I struggle with the most...in my mind...it's much easier, smooth, obvious to direct people towards scripture and tradition. But the transcendental model seems to say that these elements are less important as compared to personal experience. I think that one of the ways this seems to play out is in the idea of sharing one's testimony. Testimonies exemplify God's revelation in our own life and the world. I'm not arguing that this model is ineffective. Rather, I've seen it work the opposite and be completely effective, especially with those young adults unfamiliar with tradition and scripture. My personal hang up is sharing my story and my individual experience and not bringing in the idea of scripture and tradition. Yes, it's an all three kind of answer...they all matter...but what about utilizing the model that best suits your audience? I'm discovering in the bigger picture, knowing one's audience is really the key in practicing theology.

I appreciated the quote from Sallie McFague in this chapter, "The purpose of theology is to make it possible for the Gospel to be heard in our time."

No comments: