Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Week 4, Barker, Chapter 7

This chapter helped me find a better understanding of the term post-modern. It would seem that the ideas of intertextuality and multi-genre form are two prime indicators of the post-modern form. I appreciated the examples that the author used in terms of The Simpsons, Miami Vice, and The Sopranos (3 of my favorites). I think if I had to add to the definition I would add that the characters in these programs or the voice of the show writer(s) also express a heightened sense of cultural awareness. Take a film such as Pulp Fiction where the characters and writer/director Quentin Tarantino, have an obvious affinity and reverential following of pop culture. This awareness seems to be a fundamental conceit of post-modern film and television.

No comments: