Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Week 7, Bevans Chapter 7

The synthetic model begins with listening. It's the idea of finding basic patterns and structures and discovering the local theology. From there it's a matter of putting the basic themes that exist in the local theology into conversation with the basic themes of the gospels. I think Bevans makes a great point as he says that there is a real danger of "selling out" to the other culture.

As I critique and analyze and struggle with these various models of contextual theology I guess what I try to hold on to is that no matter which way you try to slice it...Jesus must remain at the center of our theology. I read an interesting devotional this morning by Frederick Beuchner.

Beuchner writes, "Jesus said, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me' (John 14:6). He didn't say that any particular ethic, doctrine, or religion was the way, the truth, and the life. He said that he was. He didn't say that it was by believing or doing anything in particular that you could 'come to the Father.' He said that it was only by him-by living, participating in , being caught up by, the way of life that he embodied, that was his way."

As we move forward with understanding and practicing these models, I just feel that this is something that we need to really keep in mind. I think it's when we lose sight of Jesus, much like Peter did as he stepped out onto the water and began to sink, and we begin to mistakenly think that it's more about us, we run into danger of sinking.

No comments: