Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Week 7, Wednesday

"Hospitality gets its name from welcoming the stranger, yet when we practice hospitality who do we normally invite? We need to break the circle of the same by welcoming the uninvited. Undecidability is built into hospitality." - John Caputo

I really enjoyed this quote from Caputo. It resonates with the way we treat those outsiders and flows with the love your neighbor as yourself.

I also appreciated the conversation today about Caputo's undeconstructables. Although I don't know if I understand the distinction that make hospitality undeconstructable. It would seem that the church needs to first deconstruct hospitality and understand this is what the biblical image of hospitality is and the contextualize it in our present day context. Perhaps I need to think that the word undeconstructable in Caputo's usage is synonymous with the word non-negotiable. Therefore to say hospitality is undeconstructable is the same as saying it's non-negotiable. As Christians there are no exemptions towards offering hospitality.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your point about non-negotiable.